Fire damaged a loft apartment over a two-car garage on Fountain Avenue, late Monday evening.
According to officials, East Ridge firefighters were called to 3746 Fountain Avenue at 11:52 p.m. When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the second floor of the building. Firefighters made an interior attack and quickly knocked the fire out. The occupants of the loft apartment, a man and his dog, escaped the fire without injury.
Fire Chief Mike Williams said the cause of the fire was accidental and appears to be electrical in nature. Chief Williams said that off-duty firefighters were called in to provide extra manpower to “overhaul” the fire scene. Overhaul, Williams said, is tearing out wall board and insulation to insure that there are no smoldering spots in the structure that could reignite the fire.
Officials said the the garage and the loft apartment were built within the last several years.