This recipe is all about preparing some Easy Grilled Shrimp and a tasty side! Summer grilling is getting started and that means plenty of grilled shrimp and other tasty items cooked over open flames!
When it comes to shrimp I’m a sucker for serving them up with a side of cole slaw. But why use the normal recipe slaw recipe. You can if you want, but try something different!
Here’s a nice version of a coleslaw with an Asian feel and the taste of Mango as well. This recipe is featured in several of my articles as well as my new book Great American Grilling! Enjoy!
For the Shrimp!
Grab a bunch of peeled and deveined shrimp and then:
- toss them in a non-reactive bowl with some,
- orange juice,
- ginger powder,
- a dash of hot sauce,
- and some seasoning of your choice.
- Adjust the recipe to your liking! I tend to lean towards Cajun, Jerk style, or something along those lines with the citrus PUNCH!
- Cover, chill, prep your grill and start your cole slaw. Grill as you normally would.
For the Mango Slaw
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s BEAUTIFUL and packed with flavor! I suggest making an hour ahead of serving time to let the flavors mingle a bit.
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 3 cup shredded cabbage, not diced, not chopped!
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup Red bell pepper thin sliced
- 1/3 cup Green bell pepper thin sliced
- 1/3 cup Red onion, thin sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Several dashes of ground ginger
- Drizzle of honey
- Dash of salt
- Toasted almonds or sunflower seeds
- Dash of sweetener or sugar
- Parsley, chopped – optional
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro – optional
Directions: Toss everything in a bowl besides the cilantro and parsley and nuts. Cover and chill for at least thirty minutes. Toss with cilantro and parsley before serving. Add a dash or two of sweetener for added flavor.
(Kent Whitaker is a culinary writer and cookbook author. He is the winner of the Emeril Live BBQ contest and winner of an American Authors Association Gold medal. Kent’s books are in bookstores nationwide and are available online. Kent lives in East Ridge, Tennessee. Visit him online at www.thedeckchef.com)