Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLPH) School has been a pillar of the community in East Ridge since its founding on Moore Road in 1937. This past week the Catholic Pre-K through 8th grade school celebrated National Catholic Schools Week along with their younger sister-school, St. Jude in Hixson, and Notre Dame High in Glenwood, which began Catholic education in downtown Chattanooga in 1876.
OLPH Church helped families to kick off the week on Sunday, Jan. 26, with a a special Mass including students as readers, gift bearers, music leaders and choir members.
Throughout the week students heard guest speakers, kicked up their heels at an all-school sock hop, and participated in several service activities. Among the activities was raising money for the American Heart Association, making beaded friendship bracelets for patients at T.C. Thompson’s Children’s Hospital, Valentine cards for the sisters of Charity, BVM, in Dubuque, Iowa (the first teachers at the school), and a competitive volleyball match between faculty and students.