On Tuesday morning, two employees at East Ridge High School were treated for smoke inhalation after an air conditioning unit caught fire and filled a classroom and the gym with smoke.
According to East Ridge Fire Chief Mike Williams, firefighters were called to the Bennett Road school at 7:39 a.m. on a reported commercial building fire. When they arrived crews reported heavy smoke in the gym and a classroom.
Crews located the origin of the fire, an air conditioning unit, and quickly extinguished it. Chief Williams said that the fire crew then removed the smoke from the building. Hamilton County treated two employees at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The cause of the fire, Chief Williams said, appears to have been an electrical short in the AC unit. The actual fire was contained to the air conditioner, he said.