Fire damaged a house on Douglas Drive early Monday evening.
According to East Ridge Fire Chief Mike Williams, firefighters responded to a call of a residential fire at 129 Douglas Dr. at 7:49 p.m. When they arrived, the homeowner told firefighters that when she came home she found where a fire had been inside the home. It appeared the fire burned itself our, officials said.
Chief Williams said there was no smoke in the dwelling, however carbon monoxide levels were very high and firefighters ventilated the house to remove the gas.
Chief Williams said there was a large amount of smoke damage from the small fire. He said that rooms in the home where the doors were closed sustained minimal damage. Chief Williams said this a perfect example of why homeowners should close all doors to a home at night or when one leaves their home.
“A closed door could give a little extra time for escape and slow the fire’s progress,” Chief Williams said.