I think the East Ridge City Council meetings might need to say the “Serenity Prayer” before the meetings: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference. ”
I have never been shy of saying that when it comes down to East Ridge elections, I vote person and not party, and am proud to say so. When one doesn’t evaluate character of the candidate, it is a vote for what exactly?
- Bethune wins Mayor and Williams remains seated on the council for two more years
- Bethune, Cagle, Manning, if elected would swing the balance
- Williams wins Mayor and the remaining seated council votes on the empty seat left behind by the Williams win
- Manning or Cagle do not win and the council sways way over to one direction
- Newcomers in the race get elected to serve on the council
- Helton wins State 30 race and becomes less effective in ER business
- New City Manager needs to be hired by the new council
- Boards and Commissions will not change no matter who wins
- IDB continues to “give the cow away” instead of selling the milk
- And last but not least, Denny Manning gets to pray again before the council meetings as the official City Chaplin
In April 2018 when the city created the East Ridge Housing and Redevelopment Authority, hundreds of people got involved and became as informed as possible on the matter. I know that the citizens of East Ridge have the power to make big changes when we work together towards a common goal. We did it then and we can do it again, GO VOTE!
_ Laura Mathis